- Keep a CHANGELOG - An argument for human-curated changelogs in your projects.
- Sourcegraph for GitHub - Extension to add various IDE features when you're using GitHub in Chrome.
- HTTP Observatory CLI - Interface to Mozilla's HTTP Observatory, which will tell you how badly you're messing up security on your web sites.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 4:59AM
Monday, August 29, 2016 at 5:33AM
- Rails 5 adds more control to fine tuning SSL usage - Worth a look wen you get to Rails 5. The more SSL the better, and there are some finicky points to set up.
- How to Reduce Controller Bloat with Interactors in Ruby - Just what it says, a way to split up code so you can focus on smaller bits.
- Building and testing a Phoenix JSON API - An updated guide from Thoughbot.
Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 5:44AM
- Hackable Projects - How Google defines "hackability" and its relation to software quality.
- Keeping Secrets in Plain Sight - A plan for versioning secrets with encryption so they can be kept in your repo safely.
- Active Record Doctor - A tool to take a look at your database indexes and keys and suggest improvements.
Monday, August 22, 2016 at 7:38AM
- Writing Less Damn Code - In this case, writing less damn CSS, but a good idea in general.
- Maintainers Wanted - A collection of open source projects looking for new lead maintainers.
- The Ruby Community: The Next Version, Ruby's Reputation, and The Ruby Community and Reputation - Looks like we're in for another round of argument about whether Rails has ruined Ruby.
Friday, August 19, 2016 at 4:56AM
- Testing Rails Applications: Overview and rules of thumb from one developer's system.
- Vocabula computatralia - All the Latin you need to know to discuss computers.
- Baqend - Cloud-based development back end that tries to get away from the server paradigm and just provides services for your application.