- Hackable Projects - How Google defines "hackability" and its relation to software quality.
- Keeping Secrets in Plain Sight - A plan for versioning secrets with encryption so they can be kept in your repo safely.
- Active Record Doctor - A tool to take a look at your database indexes and keys and suggest improvements.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 5:44AM
Monday, August 22, 2016 at 7:38AM
- Writing Less Damn Code - In this case, writing less damn CSS, but a good idea in general.
- Maintainers Wanted - A collection of open source projects looking for new lead maintainers.
- The Ruby Community: The Next Version, Ruby's Reputation, and The Ruby Community and Reputation - Looks like we're in for another round of argument about whether Rails has ruined Ruby.
Friday, August 19, 2016 at 4:56AM
- Testing Rails Applications: Overview and rules of thumb from one developer's system.
- Vocabula computatralia - All the Latin you need to know to discuss computers.
- Baqend - Cloud-based development back end that tries to get away from the server paradigm and just provides services for your application.
Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 8:22AM
- NoSQL Databases: a Survey and Decision Guidance - I'm going to go back to just writing things on paper. Good overview of the NoSQL landscape, though.
- Oprah - "Opinionated presenters for Rails 5". Bonus points for the name.
- GoReplay - Tool for capturing live web traffic and using it in testing. Unfortunate name, though.
Monday, August 15, 2016 at 10:47AM
- Rails 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, and 220.127.116.11 have been released! With some fairly significant security fixes, especially for 4.2 and 5.0.
- Emittr - General purpose event emitter & listener for Ruby.
- dry-rb: "A collection of next generation Ruby libraries, each intended to encapsulate a common task."