- gh-ost: GitHub's online schema migration tool for MySQL - GitHub has open-sourced their tool for migrating MySQL tables without blocking operations.
- Huge number of files for Angular 2 Application - "Every single person using bower would have one or more copies of In Praise of Idleness by Bertrand Russell on your local machine..." There's something just fundamentally wrong with this.
- Is Phoenix deployment really that hard? - A general view of the problem space with some alternatives.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Friday, August 5, 2016 at 4:20AM
Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 5:14AM
- Signing Your Git Commits With GPG - This is so seamless that everyone should do it.
- Hitler Uses Docker - I know, the whole "Downfall with new captions" thing has been done to death, but really, this one is pretty funny.
- Building and testing a Phoenix JSON API - Advice and code snippets from Thoughtbot. When you're ready to try, you can head over to Dockerizing a Phoenix Project to keep your work isolated.
Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 5:07AM
- Announcing PushType: A next generation content management system for Ruby on Rails - Implemented at the Rails Engine level and using the PostgreSQL jsonb data type for storage.
- QLMarkdown - QuickLook generator for MarkDown files. How did it take me this long to find this?
- Puma-dev - A successor to pow that works with the various features of Rails 5, including actioncable.
Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 4:09AM
- Veertu - Native virtualization for macOS to let you run Windows and Linux VMs on your Mac. Haven't looked at it in any detail but potentially promising.
- New Ad Blocker (Beta) - From Optimal, works by dumping things at the DNS level. Assuming you want to trust their DNS servers, anyhow. Free, but they also have an optional revenue-sharing product that brings back selected ads.
- Protocol Buffers v3.0.0 - The latest round of Google's data interchange format.
Monday, August 1, 2016 at 5:21AM
- How to use git bisect by example - Demonstrated with tracking down an Ember.js bug.
- BrowserWarrier - Rails 5 gem to reject IE 6/7/8 users (and give them advice on getting a real browser) with one line of code.
- Paw 3 - A little pricey, but the best tool for working with HTTP APIs from OS X that I've found.