Sometimes life hands you a lemon tree.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Friday, November 4, 2011 at 6:24AM
Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 6:21AM
Today, I drop eggs.
- I swapped my MacBook for an iPad+Linode - Tempting thought, as my Mac Pro ages and needs to be replaced. This might be a new trick that I am too much an old dog to learn, though.
- Mojolicious - Yeah, there's a reason I'm looking at Perl web frameworks. This one looks pretty good.
- Calendroid Pro - I'm much happier with my calendar on the Android phone after I threw out Google's version and replaced it with this.
- Advanced server definitions in Capistrano - A useful tutorial.
- OmniAuth 1.0: Auth for All - Comprehensive solutioon for letting users authenticate against a variety of sources. Learn more and try it out at OmniAuth.org.
Wednesday, November 2, 2011 at 5:36AM
- aruba - CLI testing steps for Cucumber. Fuck Stallman - Giles Bowkett nails it. I'm not the greatest Steve Jobs fan in the universe, but Stallman's behavior was far below the level of basic human decency.
- Postbox 3 is Now Available! - I switched from Mail.app to Postbox a year ago, and I've never once regretted it.
- Gemnasium - Subscription service to notify you of gem updates that affect your project.
- Introducing GitHub Enterprise - If you have a spare $5K laying around, you can self-host GitHub.
- Shopify Fund - Shopify has a million bucks to spend on enhancing its ecosystem, and it wants you to have a piece of that.
Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at 5:45AM
You know what's scary? Source code is scary.
- Evernote Web Clipper - New version. Doesn't appear to work at all with Firefox 10, though. Pity.
- rocco - Literate programming tool for Ruby. The output is pretty spiffy.
- spin - Unobtrusive alternative to spork to speed up autotesting.
- ievms - Easily set up Microsoft's testing VMs for IE7, IE8 and IE9 under VirtualBox on Linux or OS X.
- Things that Turbo Pascal is Smaller Than - This makes me sad for our profession.
- slider.js - The latest whizbang jQuery slideshow library, using CSS transitions and canvas to attract attention.
- MagLev 1.0.0 - The alternative ruby implementation with a distributed shared cache gets a Halloween release. Sexy examples here.
Monday, October 31, 2011 at 6:02AM
If I wanted a robot to clean up my GitHub projects I'd hire one.
- ruby 1.9.3-p0 - And so it begins.
- Appraisal: find out what your gems are worth - I am convinced that the deep problems in component software versioning will never, ever be solved. But here's another tiny step in the ruby world anyhow.
- Firebug 1.9a5 - 1.9 beta 1 will be out soon, so the feedback window is closing.
- Capistrano delivery via Patch - Interesting approach to delivering small changes to projects.
- Linux From Scratch Version 7.0 - Ever build your Linux install from source code? Time-consuming, but you learn a heck of a lot.