A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:57PM
Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 12:30AM
I've got some excess capacity to take on new Rails work again.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 10:45PM
Late to bed and early to rise. Hmm.
- jQuery vs MooTools - An extensive comparison from a MooTools contributor. He appears to be trying to do a fair job, though.
- Need Code Help? - Zach Moazeni hooks up with RailsBridge to offer some pro bono code review. You'll see more of this from RailsBridge very soon.
- Meet MacRuby - The latest from PeepCode.
- Critical Mac OS X Java Vulnerabilities - It appears to be time to disable Java applets on OS X.
- ModelFactory - Another factory-based replacement for Rails fixtures.
- IP and Non-Competes for Employees - A generally sensible viewpoint from Obie (ie, he agrees to me that you shouldn't force employees to sign a ridiculous non-compete).
Monday, May 18, 2009 at 11:26PM
Today, I need to write more words about code.
- Ruby on Rails and the importance of being stupid - I suspect this blog entry from Philip Greenspun on a failing Rails application will be dismissed as FUD, but behind the willful ignorance he does have a good point or two.
- Taskit: a rails scheduler plugin - An alternative to using cron to schedule things for Rails apps. (via RubyFlow)
- Rails Contributors - Now hosted as part of rubyonrails.org.
- Sinatra 0.9.2 released - Now compatible with Rack 1.0.
- Station - A CMS plugin to integrate with any Rails application. Looks promising.
- TorqueBox - "Ninja-grade Ruby application platform" built on top of JBoss. The naming doesn't encourage me, but I should probably look in more detail.
- generators - A collection of Ruby on Rails generators.
Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:27PM
Crossing fingers for a new contract today.
- Java Kicks Ruby on Rails in the Butt - Actually, this guy apparently can't find his butt - or current information on Rails - with both hands. Pretty funny.
- Product Launch - Thunder Thimble - If you don't already have a system in place for brand management, this could be interesting.
- Rails Testing Frequently Asked Questions — The Non-Code Version - Some good advice from Noel Rappin, especially if you're new to testing.
- HighlyAvailableLAMP - I hope I never need to know this. But it's good to know the Ubuntu folks have been figuring it out.
- Wolfram|Alpha Firefox Search Extension - To add Wolfram|Alpha to the list of search providers integrated with Firefox.