A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 4:01PM
When was the last time you wrote a web app that didn't depend on some service or site that's ultimately out of your control?
Monday, July 21, 2008 at 4:30PM
I have spent too much of the last few days understanding why CSS designers don't like IE6.
Sunday, July 20, 2008 at 3:46PM
It was a working weekend for me, but apparently a writing weekend for lots of other folks:
- OpenX ad server API with Ruby - I could have used this a while ago.
- Little green friend - Thoughtbot is getting ready to introduce a web-based replacement for the ExceptionNotifier plugin, called hoptoad. Looks interesting.
- Inept Recruiter - The story of a technical recruiter who managed to spawn an entire Rails dev mailing list through poor use of the cc: field. I had my own inept recruiter yesterday - wanted to hire me to work at Microsoft. Um, no.
- If you work for Apple, we need your help... - The lockdown of the iPhone extends to blocking book authors. Bah.
- Authenticate like SSO with ActiveResource - One approach to letting one Rails app provide authentication services for another. I don't think we've see the end of this discussion yet.
- Blueprint 0.7 - Looking for a CSS framework. It seemed like investigating the most widely-known one was a good starting point. And indeed, using it is pretty simple.
- Bitbucket - Free (and paid) hosting for Mercurial repos. Not that I'm looking to learn another source-code management system right now, but it's good to know about.
- Blueprint Grid CSS Generator - Useful adjunct to Blueprint when you don't want or need 24 columns.
- Blueprint CSS 101 - Good (though slightly dated) overview.
- EditorKicker - Rails plugin to open your text editor to the affected file when an error happens in Rails dev.
- WICE Grid - Fancy grid/table control plugin for Rails views.
Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 3:54PM
So far I'm liking Passenger more than nginx + mongrels, if only for ease of setup.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 4:15PM
There's some chance I may start writing a RoR column for pay. I cannot escape writing work, apparently.
- 15 Resources to Get You Started with jQuery From Scratch - A nice collection of links.
- Sexy Forms in Rails - That would be ones with automatic label tags for accessibility.
- Mack 0.6.0 and Waves 0.7.7 - New releases of two of the "other" Ruby web frameworks.