A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 7:04AM
All I can say is Tuesday had better be less hectic than Monday was.
- Jesus - Web interface to the god process monitor. Names in Rubyland just get sillier all the time.
- Announcing The Longest YARD: 0.5.0 - New release of YARD, the alternative to RDoc.
- S3Stat - Web log analysis for your Amazon S3 or CloudFront files.
- Dashboard KickStart - Avoid the annoying load delay the first time you access the Dashboard in OS X.
- Amazon EC2 Spot Instances - And Now How Much Would You Pay? - Cloud computing power via auction.
- Rails Application Health Monitor - Build some monitoring right into your Rails application.
- Espresso 1.1 - First major update of this Web dev IDE for OS X.
Monday, December 14, 2009 at 6:54AM
It was a busy weekend. Here's some of the fallout.
- Temple - A plan for a sort of "Rack of templates", a compiler chain to take different types of templates and compile them down to pure Ruby.
- carrierwave - New solution for file uploads in Rails, Merb, Sinatra, or any Rack application.
- Notational Velocity - Super simple note-taking and filing application for OS X.
- Master May I? - A fresh authorization gem designed to work with Authlogic and InheritedResources.
- Safe In Place Editing Plugin - Replacement for the standard Rails InPlaceEditing plugin, with better error handling and support for markup languages.
- MongoDB 1.2.0 Released - For all you NoSQL types.
- TimeAPI - API to get dates/times via Chronic. Seems fairly insane to depend on an external service for that, though.
- Rock Solid HTML Emails - Good rundown from the co-founder of Campaign Monitor on design dos and don'ts.
- carmen - Country and state selection for Rails, with support for states in 7 countries so far.
- Why I Don't Like Pair Programming (and Why I Left Pivotal) - Good reminder that pairing is not for everyone. I've done pairing in limited circumstances, but there's no way I'd work like that full-time. (I guess that means HashRocket will never hire me, boo-hoo).
Friday, December 11, 2009 at 6:09AM
Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 7:32AM
It's safe to say I am not looking for more work this month.
- Excelsior - Fast CSV parsing gem.
- Teambox - Open source Rails-based project management app.
- oracle_enhanced adapter - ActiveRecord for Oracle, compatible with Rails 2.3.5.
- Ruby Community Survey - If social scientists wrote computer code as well as Rails developers design surveys, we'd bust out laughing.