A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 4:48PM
Spent part of the weekend hacking around in Rails documentation. Made my first core-ish commit as part of the docrails project.
- Capistrano 2.5.0 - With additional task-management goodness.
- GetBundle - TextMate bundle to get other TextMate bundles. Why didn't I install this ages ago?
- RailsWheels - An attempt to build a licensing and commercial sales infrastructure for Rails plugins.
- Configatron 1.0.0 Released - General-purpose manager for configuration variables in Ruby applications. (via RubyFlow)
- AsciiDoc - The markup system being used for core Rails documentation.
- Source-Highlight - You'll need this to get good output from AsciiDoc. Fortunately there's a port, but the port is a bit broken. On OS X 10.5, I had to install the boost port first (sudo port -v install boost) and then install the source-highlight port (sudo port install source-highlight) to get it to work. Do use the -v switch on boost; it takes for-bloody-ever to build and that's the only way you'll be reassured that it hasn't rolled over and died.
- AsciiDoc TextMate Bundle - Still in its early days.
- Rails Guides HackFest - I was actually writing before this was announced. Good timing for me, though.
Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 1:13PM
It's hard to be witty when your throat is on fire. Kids = colds.
- IE Death March - Another doomed attempt to kill off IE6. Heck, I've got clients who still need to support IE5 in some vertical markets.
- Why we bill by the hour - Doesn't everyone work this way by now?
- Rails 2.x Configuration Cheat Sheet - Collected notes on a bunch of stuff that RDoc doesn't pick up.
- Radiant CMS Sprint Weekend - A chance to spend a weekend hacking on open source code. October 25.
- Mysqlplus a new thread aware MySQL driver - Designed to make Active Record faster.
- MerbCamp - Merb is grown up enough to have a conference now. October 11-12 in San Diego.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 4:19PM
I started tweaking a couple of other plugins to meet my needs. Repos on github: finder_filter and from_param. Neither is ready to merge changes back upstream yet.
- SQLite-Ruby 1.2.3 - Minor maintenance release of this glue bit.
- Mercurial binary packages for Windows and OS X - I needed to look at some code in a Mercurial repo and wondered how easy it was to install. The answer proved to be "very."
- Distributed revision control with Mercurial - Now I need to find time to read this.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 at 4:38PM
It looks like the universe may be poised to fill in another hole in my work schedule. Thanks, universe.
- Format CSS Online - Tool for applying a variety of formatting rules to CSS files, to make up for your sloppiness during development.
- Envy Casts - The latest addition to the paid Rails screencasts ecosystem.
- Cap 1.4.1? Go 1.4.2. Now. - An upgrade reminder for users of older versions of Capistrano. Fortunately for me, I finally managed to pull all of my own projects up to the Cap 2.x series.
- The awesomest filter and sort ever - Courtenay is playing with named scopes and searching on multiple conditions in edge Rails. It's looking useful.