A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 4:14PM
A tip for installing a SSL certificate for nginx: make sure you've got a password-free key file.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 4:06PM
It's starting to look like I may have the bandwidth to take on another project shortly. If you've got Rails work overflow, give me a holler.
- Patch Your Rubies - Someone has backported the recent Ruby security fixes to a version of Ruby that Rails is happy with. I've been running one Rails 2.0 app on the latest patched 1.8.7, but it's not been a happy match.
- Squirrel Update for Rails 2.1, Now with Named Scopes - Useful news if you're wrestling with a Rails app with lots of complex queries.
Monday, June 23, 2008 at 4:10PM
Sunday, June 22, 2008 at 4:01PM
Nobody's interested in doing a bit of sysadmin work on the side, eh? I'm not surprised, I don't like it much myself.
- RubyGems 1.2.0 - Unfortunately this new update won't install on my system, which probably means that I've terminally hosed something and should start thinking about a rebuild again.
- The Big Ruby Vulnerabilities - Wondering about the mysterious patches to Ruby recently? Zed Shaw comes to your aid with some revealing diffs.
- Rails-doc - Yet another Rails API site. This one claims to be better than all the rest. We'll see.
Thursday, June 19, 2008 at 7:26PM
It's off on an outing with the kids today, so not much code will happen till tomorrow. Looks like the weekend will be catchup time again.
- FiveRuns TuneUp Panel v0.8.8 Released - With a few important bug fixes.
- Gotchas When Upgrading to Rails 2.1 - From ThoughtBot.
- ActsAsSeoFriendly - Plugin to build URLs from a column other than ID.
- BitNami RubyStack 1.2 Beta for Windows is Ready - A rev of this nice installer for those trying to do ruby work on Windows.
- Updating MySQL DATETIMEs for Rails 2.1 Time Zones - More upgrade fun.
- Upgrade to Rails 2.1_RC1 - Another small bucket of gotchas.
- Rails 2.1RC1 and the Enhanced Migrations Plugin - Some of this is fixed in the RTM version, but you'll still need to change migration tables.