- ActiveCouch - A Ruby Wrapper for CouchDB - Yet another thing to learn if I had unlimited time.
- 'IP' Police Line - Do Not Cross - Intellectual property shenanigans from IBM. Shame on Pearson for publishing a programming book that explicitly refuses the use of the techniques it covers.
- mephisto 0.8 is out! - New release of this Rails-based blogging software.
- Restful Authentication with all the bells and whistles - Comprehensive tutorial using Rails 2.0.2.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 5:00PM
Delivered another reasonably major feature today. Things are still going well on the Rails front.
Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 5:44PM
So Microsoft has put out a hostile (and high) bid for Yahoo! For me, that means it's time to start making a list of new services to boycott. Flickr, del.icio.us, and Messenger would all inconvenience me somewhat to dump, but not so much that I want to get sucked back into the Microsoft fold.
- Better Reporting with Sparklines - Introduction from topfunky. I've got a site that would probably benefit from this, though I'm not sure the client would agree
- ActiveMerchant 1.3 released - Just in time for the PDF that just went by.
- Segregated page cache storage - Some discussion of tweaking Rails' page caching, kicked off by Josh Susser. Read the comments too.
- Get ready for the TextMate "Trundle to Rails 2.0 Bundle" - Dr. Nic takes over maintenance.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 4:12PM
We now have Rails apps being developed on two developer desktops in this household - another small victory for the forces of light.
- Super-fast bulk data imports in Rails with ar-extensions - There's a gem out there to make for quicker batches if you're faced with this problem.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 6:45PM
The joy of independence: trying to nail down an elusive contract. There might be room in my dance card coming up in the future if you're interested in talking.
- Living on the edge (of Rails) #5 - better eager loading and more - This series continues to be the best way to keep up with developments in Edge Rails without actually installing the software yourself.
- Beanstalk - Hosted Subversion system with hooks to FogBugz, Basecamp, and Campfire. Been around for a bit but just now crossed my radar.
- ActiveMerchant PDF - The latest print publication from PeepCode, covering e-commerce in Rails.
- RailsConf '08: Registration is open! - Sure enough, it is.
Monday, January 28, 2008 at 5:11PM
Yesterday was going swimmingly until the 3-hour power failure. Felt like I was back in the sticks again.
- Rails REST 101 meets Rails 2.0 - If you learned REST with Rails 1.2, here's an update.
- RailsConf '07 keynotes on video - Just in time for RailsConf '08 tickets to go on sale. It was fun once, but I've got better things to spend the money on this year.
- Creating bubble tooltips..... - Another design technique to spiff up your Rails applications.