- QuickMagick - Another gem for use of ImageMagick by giving a ruby flavor to command-line operations.
- RailsLab: Scaling Your Database - Part 2 - The latest of Gregg Pollack's screencasts on scaling Rails.
- Working With Multiple Ruby Versions Has Never Been This Easy - Indeed, this looks like a simple way to install and switch between Rubies on OS X or Linux.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Friday, July 31, 2009 at 12:36AM
A few odds and ends to close off the working week.
Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 1:07AM
Wait, it's still July? This month may never end.
- acts_as_taggable_on_steroids was REALLY slow - A case where having some MySQL knowledge turned out to be critical.
- Embrace Technical Debt - An argument that sometimes writing sloppy code isn't such a bad thing to do.
- Freshlog - Screen capture for OS X that can automatically create Lighthouse or Unfuddle tickets from the result.
- Running Rails performance tests on real data - Pratik Naik explains how to do it.
- The 2009 GitHub contest - You too can help GitHub improve their algorithms.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 12:50AM
Nothing like a busy day to cut down on my linking.
- URLAgg - Watch us work - Ever wonder what virtual pair programming looks like? Here's a longish unscripted session from Jeff Schoolcraft and Istvan Hoka.
- WindyCityRails - Early bird pricing for this Chicago-based conference is ending in just a couple of days, time to make up your mind.
- input_css - Rails plugin to automatically add sensible CSS classes to INPUT tags.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 12:16AM
Looks like my August hours may be starting to fill out. That was a bit too close for comfort.
- The RailsBridge BugMash - Please do join us August 8-9 if you have any interest in improving the quality of Rails.
- Putting it all together - ResourceTemplates, described_routes and path-to - Plumbing to handle header-based discovery and easier client APIs.
- CheddarGetter - Subscription management and billing as a service.
- MySQL replication and Rails - A primer from Elad Meidar.
- The Ruty Template Engine - An alternative to liquid for adding customer-safe templates to Ruby-based applications.
- Pro Git - Scott Chacon's book on git is available in full under a CC license.
- Programmatically Creating Website Thumbnails - Guide from Rob Bazinet.
- Choosing a non-relational database; why we migrated from MySQL to MongoDB - Long article from the folks at Server Density.
Monday, July 27, 2009 at 12:26AM
I'm sure someone took the weekend off, but apparently it wasn't anyone whose site I read.
- Cucumber - The official Cucumber site is definitely spiffy these days. Makes me wish I found it to be a useful tool. Maybe I just haven't had the right exposure yet.
- Make your test suite UNCOMFORTABLY FAST! - Thoughtbot gets into the parallel testing act.
- Git, Github, workflow questions - Nice discussion of git branching and deployment strategies, with input from the GitHub folks.
- time-warp - Gem to set the time to a pretend value for testing.
- How do I Flush DNS? - Includes instructions for doing so under OS X, which I recently needed.
- Talking to Wordpress with ActiveRecord - Just in case you need to do that.
- sqlite3-ruby 1.2.5 Released - Version bump, bug fixes, better compatibility for Windows & Ruby 1.9.
- Apple Push Notifications on Rails - Gem that should appeal to the growing overlap of people who do both Rails & iPhone work.
- yardstick - Tool to measure YARD (alternative to RDoc) coverage of ruby code.