- TMTOOLS plugin - For those who want to do some low-level TextMate hacking.
- RubyAMP TextMate Bundle - Adds another grep implementation, better completion, hooks into tail and firing up servers, and other goodies for Rails & Merb developers.
- New in Rails: ActiveResource Timeouts and why it matters - Protect yourself from the vagaries of other peoples' servers.
- Today - Tiny event & task manager that synchronizes with iCal.
- What's up in Ruby? - Dedicated search engine based on Ruby community RSS feeds.
- Software as a Service Rails Kit - New bootstrapper that gets you up and running quickly with ActiveMerchant, SSL, multiple levels of accounts - all the stuff under your typical Web 2.0 app. $249 base price.
- Better messages for ActiveRecord validation errors - A tiny bit of fit and finish work for your Rails app.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 4:38PM
My initial reaction to Live Mesh is that it's just another attempt to co-opt the web with a proprietary Microsoft platform, no different conceptually than the original MSN/"Blackbird" (which failed, as you may or may not recall). Perhaps I'll change my mind later.
Monday, April 21, 2008 at 4:42PM
The latest nightly of Firefox 3 is working much better for me than Beta 5 - at the cost of losing Firebug. That's a mixed blessing at best.
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at 3:09PM
I spent a bit of time playing with Google App Engine over the weekend. One thing that hasn't been widely reported is that it's trivial to set up a folder to serve files statically. This means, I think, that App Engine might make a good asset host for Rails apps looking for distributed storage.
- First class vendor/gems - A variant approach to storing the required gems with a Rails project.
- Hobo 0.7.5 Released - Better documentation and other goodies.
- CapGun - Email notifications for Capistrano deployments.
- Deferred requests with merb, ebb, and thin - Fine-tuning the deployment stack.
- Radiant CMS 0.6.5 "Chisel" Release - Lots of action in this Rails CMS project. Another thing I need to dig into someday.
- Symbols Are Not Pretty Strings - Josh Susser says we're all using too many symbols.
- Preview Releases: Net::SSH, Net::SSH::Multi - With news that a new Capistrano release is coming soon.
- ERb Syntax highlighting in gedit - I don't expect to be hacking Rails on Linux again soon, but if you do this could come in handy.
- ActsAsOptions - Plugin to simplify generating option lists for <select> tags.
- Living on the edge (of Rails) #17 - A fairly quiet week for Rails development.
Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 3:35PM
Up early with an earthquake. Just like when I was a kid.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at 4:47PM
Today it's back to the CSS mines for me. Seem to be lots of folks wanting work in that area lately.
- Freezing Rails with Git - Using git submodules. I'm probably going to have to learn this sooner rather than later.
- MacUpdate Parallels Bundle - Interesting to me not because I want Parallels (so far both my Macs are 100% Microsoft-free, and I intend to keep them that way), but for some of the other packages.
- Introducing Mingle 2.0 - Major rev of the commercial agile management tool from Thoughtworks.