A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Monday, November 2, 2009 at 11:20PM
Monday, November 2, 2009 at 1:20AM
Busy weekend. Let's unload some of these browser tabs.
- Improving Code using Metric_fu - A concrete example of how metrics can drive better code.
- Eventbug (alpha) Released - New firebug extension to help in debugging event-related issues.
- Firefox 3.6 Beta 1 - Probably about time for developers to think about upgrading. I've been running 3.7 alphas with no serious trouble myself.
- New in the Twitter gem: Lists! - Just in case you want to code against Twitter's new shiny.
- Limelight - Ruby/JRuby backed desktop cross-platform UI framework. Looks interesting.
- Ruby / Method aliasing and chaining - Good discussion of method chains and the dreaded alias_method_chain.
- FireQuery - Firebug extension for jQuery development.
- Really easy continuous integration with Signal - A Rails-backed CI server.
- trap_door - Rails plugin to send spambots off to a trap.
Friday, October 30, 2009 at 12:18AM
Been a very long week, but I'm happy with the way various projects are improving.
- Amazon RDS: Amazon Relational Database Service or MySQL in the Cloud for Ruby On Rails. - A quick How-To.
- yUMLmeRails - Rake tasks and Shoes app to create model diagrams for Rails. (via Under the Hat)
Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 12:35AM
There is no apparent end of code that needs to be written.
- wysihat-engine-demo - Quick way to see the wysihat editing control in action.
- RailsBridge Bugmash VM Script - Script to build your own server to test the Rails source code from zero.
- bigrecord - ActiveRecord replacement to use distributed stores like HBase.
- Heroku Add-ons - Solr, New Relic, Amazon RDS, Cron, and more for Heroku's easy servers.
- Git Magic - Another free online book about git.
- Prag Pro Wri Mo - Pragmatic are encouraging people to spend 30 days in November figuring out if they really want to write a programming book.
- FOSS FAQ - StackOverflow-style site from the RedMonk guys, covering free and open source software issues.
- Installing Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, MySQL on Snow Leopard - Another guide for those who haven't upgraded yet.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 12:09AM
Today I think I shall be a performance expert.
- Funding Thinking Sphinx - Pat Allen is looking for sponsorship to spend a month working on the Thinking Sphinx plugin. That's a good cause.
- Introducing Amazon RDS - The Amazon Relational Database Service - Essentially, canned MySQL servers in the Amazon cloud.
- nice_find - Find replacement for TextMate that uses grep or git_grep on your project.