- First class vendor/gems - A variant approach to storing the required gems with a Rails project.
- Hobo 0.7.5 Released - Better documentation and other goodies.
- CapGun - Email notifications for Capistrano deployments.
- Deferred requests with merb, ebb, and thin - Fine-tuning the deployment stack.
- Radiant CMS 0.6.5 "Chisel" Release - Lots of action in this Rails CMS project. Another thing I need to dig into someday.
- Symbols Are Not Pretty Strings - Josh Susser says we're all using too many symbols.
- Preview Releases: Net::SSH, Net::SSH::Multi - With news that a new Capistrano release is coming soon.
- ERb Syntax highlighting in gedit - I don't expect to be hacking Rails on Linux again soon, but if you do this could come in handy.
- ActsAsOptions - Plugin to simplify generating option lists for <select> tags.
- Living on the edge (of Rails) #17 - A fairly quiet week for Rails development.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Sunday, April 20, 2008 at 3:09PM
I spent a bit of time playing with Google App Engine over the weekend. One thing that hasn't been widely reported is that it's trivial to set up a folder to serve files statically. This means, I think, that App Engine might make a good asset host for Rails apps looking for distributed storage.
Thursday, April 17, 2008 at 3:35PM
Up early with an earthquake. Just like when I was a kid.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at 4:47PM
Today it's back to the CSS mines for me. Seem to be lots of folks wanting work in that area lately.
- Freezing Rails with Git - Using git submodules. I'm probably going to have to learn this sooner rather than later.
- MacUpdate Parallels Bundle - Interesting to me not because I want Parallels (so far both my Macs are 100% Microsoft-free, and I intend to keep them that way), but for some of the other packages.
- Introducing Mingle 2.0 - Major rev of the commercial agile management tool from Thoughtworks.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 at 4:54PM
Monday, April 14, 2008 at 4:22PM
Rolled out big new features on two jobs last night. I wonder what the chance is of the clients not finding any major changes they want made?
- Storage Space, the Final Frontier - Amazon is getting ready to add persistent storage volumes to S3. I think they're still safely ahead of Google AppEngine as far as being a useful cloud computing platform goes.
- Open Source Rails - Budding gallery for, well, open source Rails applications.
- Grep in Project Command for TextMate - I need to take a look at this; I'm getting fed up with the sloth of TextMate's built-in full-project search.