- Unseen Open Source Infrastructure - The unsung hero projects of GitHub, depended on by many and starred by few.
- What it Takes to Truly Delete Data - Answer: a lot of effort and some fancy hardware.
- Announcing GVFS (Git Virtual File System): Source code management at scale from Microsoft. But: apparently Windows-only, and they don't say anything about upstreaming their patches.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
- Working with the Evernote API in Rails - Not the easiest thing in the world, but it can be done.
- Gitlab.com Database Incident - Sucks to be them. And make sure you verify that your backups can actually be restored.
- Snapcraft.io - "Package any app for every Linux", a fancy new file format being promoted by Canonical.
If you've got DevOps skills and are looking for a new opportunity, the company I work for is hiring.
- Announcing dry-view, a functional view rendering system for Ruby - A view library that works with all sorts of ruby code, even without HTTP requests.
- htop Explained Visually - A guide to the information hiding in all those pretty colors.
- Front-End Developer Handbook 2017 - A free guide to (one view of) the state of the art.
Jeff Atwood speaks for many people in I'm Loyal to Nothing Except the Dream. I almost never speak of politics here, but this is an exception. Please read it, or at least scroll down to the list of things he's doing. Then do some or all of them yourself to help. Thanks.
- I cannot continue working on my add-ons anymore - As expected, we're starting to see casualties from Firefox switching to WebExtensions. I'm going to deeply miss Beyond Australis.
- Site Reliability Engineering - Free ebook from Google, or buy a copy thanks to partnership with O'Reilly.
- TTY - An integrated set of gems for building command-line applications in ruby.