- Unorthodocs: Abandon your DVCS and Return to Sanity - A historical look at the current state of version control.
- Announcing HyperDev - The Developer Playground for Building Full-stack Web Apps, Fast - A new project from Fog Creek.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 5:09AM
Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:31AM
- ActiveRecord::MigrationNotes - Drop a note into the console when a migration is run up or down.
- Rails 5 adds OR support in Active Record - Doesn't feel very SQL-ish to me, but maybe it will grow on me.
- Beyond YML Files - dynamic translations - How to let your Rails app users edit translations at runtime rather than making your developers do all the work.
Monday, May 30, 2016 at 6:13AM
- 2.0beta1 is ready! Testers needed! - That's of GalliumOS, a Linux for Chromebooks. I'm following this with interest; so far a cheap-ass Chromebook running 1.0 is plenty good enough to run a browser, MySQL, and Sublime Text so I can work on Rails applications. I may have bought my last expensive laptop.
- Introducing Blue Ocean - A new UI for Jenkins that emphasizes workflows (and prettiness).
- Abstractions and the role of a framework - A little more exploration of issues surrounding Ruby, Rails, and alternative frameworks.
Friday, May 27, 2016 at 5:42AM
Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 4:28AM
Postings are going to be spotty for the next month or so. I've got a lot of summer camp time coming up.
- fake_stripe - Test Stripe code without hitting Stripe's servers.
- jQuery 3.0 Release Candidate...Released! - Good grief, I don't even understand all the stuff in 2.x yet. I suspect the deprecation removals will keep me from upgrading for a while though.
- Spectre.css - "A lightweight, responsive and modern CSS framework"