- Bling Bling gem management - Why yes, there is already a replacement for Bundler.
- Announcing the Currencies Gem - Multi-currency and exchange rate support for the money gem.
- htmlBurger - Paid service to convert PSD to XHTML/CSS/light JS.
- Inline Styler - Convert CSS rules to inline style attributes for use in HTML email.
- rghost - Another alternative for PDF creation from Ruby. Anyone used this one?
- Running Rails 2.3.x on IronRuby - Rob Bazinet shows how to take the first steps.
- HTML Dog - Well-recommended set of HTML and CSS tutorials.
- What really happens when you navigate to a URL - It's complicated.
- RubyGems.org move complete - GemCutter has finished its bloodless coup over ruby gem hosting. Time to upgrade your rubygems to 1.3.6.
- jQuery Simple Multi-Select, jQuery Multiselect list plugin, and jQuery MultiSelect Plugin w/ ThemeRoller Support - Three options for adding click-to-toggle functionality to HTML select controls. I ended up using the first of these on a project, and it works well.
- Use a 503 for your Rails maintenance page - One more little bit of polish and standards.
- Rails 3 Upgrade Handbook - Now out and ready to download. Looks well-worth the $12.
A Fresh Cup
Notes on Rails and other development
Entries in jquery (18)
Monday, February 22, 2010 at 4:36AM
No shortage of interesting and shiny distractions today.
Friday, February 19, 2010 at 5:56AM
Remember kids, sleep is for the weak and sensible.
- Nathan Myhrvold's Intellectual Ventures Using Over 1,000 Shell Companies To Hide Patent Shakedown - The only reason I call the patent system "broken" is that I can't think of a more appropriate word that's fit for polite company.
- Git v1.7.0 Release Notes - Time to upgrade again. Note that there are some minor behavior changes.
- EZ-CSS - Yes, another CSS framework - but not yetanother grid.
- Hoptoad Notifier: Rack and automatic Metal support - Another functionality bump from the Hoptoad folks.
- A Visual Git Reference - With boxes and arrows.
- query_trace - I pushed out a new version of this gem yesterday.
- Rails 3 Beautiful Code - Presentation from Greg Pollack. Personally I am skeptical of "beauty" as a code metric in the working world.
- Bundler and I are breaking up - I've seen quite a bit of Bundler hate recently. Maybe it's just that it's not stable enough yet.
- Is The Singularity Here Yet? - Check the page source.
- Complex Nested Forms with Rails and Unobtrusive jQuery - This worked fine for me after I remembered that _delete had been renamed to _destroy in Rails 2.3.5.
Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 4:01AM
Deadlines are raining on me like snowflakes lately.
- VersionControlTools - Somewhat rambling evaluation from Martin Fowler. It's interesting that he chooses git, Mercurial, and svn as the only three to recommend despite plenty of experience with the more "enterprisey" tools.
- Icons Etc. - Another big pile of royalty-free icons and images.
- Rails/jQuery UI sortables with single UPDATE query - Simple tutorial from Henrik Nyh. The SQL is MySQL-specific, but it's easy enough to write a workable method if you're on a different database.
- Smooth Devoperations: Deploying Rails 3 with Moonshine - The Rails Machine guys are committed to making Moonshine work well with Rails 3 while keeping Rails 2 support. Good news all around.
- Rails 3 Upgrade Handbook - Sign up for notification when this one comes out. Jeremy McAnally has already done some great Rails 3 blog entries, so this should be super-useful.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 4:57AM
Monday, February 15, 2010 at 5:50AM
Snow and deadlines. Must be Monday.
- Quicksand - Fun bit of jQuery eye candy for rearranging items on screen.
- Monitoring Delayed Job with Bluepill and Capistrano - Putting together a few more bits of infrastructure.
- JQuery Ajax - The latest from PeepCode.
- Rails 3 Testing environment - Gist showing how to set one up safely with rvm.
- TypeDNA - Some interesting font tools, including one that will identify fonts in uploaded images.
- Insourcing - Sarah Allen is experimenting with some ways to cost-effectively grow a development team without the risks of outsourcing, through carefully-managed internships.
- Visual Website Optimizer - Beta hosted service to help you do A/B testing with analysis.
- A/Bingo 1.0.0 Official Release - Alternately, you can just set up your own A/B testing infrastructure.
- Refraction - Rack middleware to replace mod_rewrite. One of the few uses of Rack middleware that actually strikes me as reasonable.