And to complete the trifecta, here's how you can update the Active Storage code to use Google Cloud Storage:
1. Sign in to your Google Cloud Platform account and go to your console (the URL will be something like https://console.cloud.google.com/home/dashboard).
2. You need to create a new project, and then a storage bucket inside of the project. Record the names for both so you can add them to your storage_services.yml file.
3. You'll need to use GCS's API Manager to create credentials for your new bucket. Create a set of credentials that use the Google Cloud Datastore API. Download your credentials as JSON and store a copy of the file in your project at config/gcs.json.
NOTE: Obviously, you need to keep the keys in this file confidential. Don't check them into a public repository, for example. Manage it the same way you manage your database.yml or other files containing confidential information.
4. Update your storage_services.yml file with a configuration stanza for Google:
google: service: GCS project: gstroop-****** keyfile: bucket: ****-*******-9999
5. Add a line to your production.rb file:
config.active_storage.service = :google
6. Add the
google-cloud-storage gem to your Gemfile and run
7. Deploy the application. You should now be able to add user avatars and have then stored in the GCS bucket that you configured.